Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Ruined Xbox Disks

[caption id="" align="alignleft" width="240"]Lost and Broken CD Lost and Broken CD (Photo credit: Billie Hara)[/caption]

I have an X-box 360 and a GameFly account. For those of you who don't know what GameFly is, it's basically Netflix for video games. Through this service, I have found some really great games.

One such game is Deus Ex Human Revolution. Excellent game, I've spent many hours playing this game, beaten it a few different times, etc. Another such game is Mass Effect 3, which I've blogged about before.

I bought Deus Ex through GameFly for something like, $17. Not a big deal. I also picked up Mass Effect 1 though not through GameFly. My problem is that in addition to an X-Box 360 and a GameFly account, I also have kids. This combo has resulted in my Mass Effect 1 and Deus Ex disks being scratched.

When we got the X-box it was a Christmas deal, came with a Kinect and a couple of games, but a small 4GB internal hard drive. I recently purchased a 360GB hard drive for it, but that was after the disks got scratched. Had I installed this hard drive before they were scratched, I could have "installed" the games onto the hard drive, and thus only needed the disk for the machine to check that I owned a license, and I'd still be able to play these games.

Alas...

I contacted X-Box support to see if they had a download service, I could just download the game and install it or something (they don't.) I was told to put an old CD into the Xbox and let it run for five or six minutes, just to make sure it wasn't the console that was creating the scratches. Good advise, but I am well aware of what's creating the scratches. They also recommended that I get the disks buffed... I looked into this, and apparently there are places you can go to get CDs and DVDs and such buffed for a couple bucks. The problem is that the only place around me that does it is in the mall. I frigging hate the mall. Every time I go there, all I wanna do is buy appropriate clothes for the pre-teen girls who walk around with their crack sticking out of the back of their pants and slap the crap outta the Joe-Pro bad-ass idiots who follow them around like puppies wearing basketball shirts, jeans around their knees and baseball hats sideways.

Tangent: You youths of today need a good smacking around. Grow the F up, ffs. (...says the guy who blogs about video games.)

Anyway, my other option is to put these games back into my GameFly queue, have them send them to me, install them to my Xbox, and send them back and call it a day. But if something happens to my hard drive, I'd be back where I am now. I tried this already, put ME1 into first place in my queue, and they instead sent me item #3. About a week ago. It's still not here. So going this route, I'm likely looking at waiting about four to six weeks before being able to play those two games again.

So, now I'm faced with having to go to the mall and deal with all that garbage, wade through the stench of "Brute" and underage pheromones, to get these disks buffed for a couple of dollars, or stay home and just re-order both games for a total of around $30.

What would you do?

 
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. I'd probably try getting them buffed. I don't let the kids even near the games. I see what they're movies look like lol, but I'd try a couple buck solution. If it works then you can download and put the disc somewhere out reach. If not, it's only a couple dollars wasted.

    ReplyDelete