Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Batman Arkham City

[caption id="" align="alignleft" width="300"]Michael Keaton as Batman in Tim Burton's Batma... Michael Keaton as Batman in Tim Burton's Batman (1989) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)[/caption]

I came to modern console gaming fairly late in the game, as I've said in my previous posts. I got my X-box this past Christmas (December 2011) and shortly thereafter I purchased Batman Arkham City.

Batman Arkham City is a fantastic game, which you probably already know. The fighting sequences were stupendous, particularly to me since the last game I ever played that came even remotely close to this was probably Soul Caliber... The first one. A LONG time ago. Since 2004, I played World of Warcraft exclusively.

To say I was blown away by how freakin fun this game is, is a total understatement. I beat the game on normal difficulty in around three days... I slept perhaps about nine hours total in those three days AND worked full time.

Unfortunately, since this was my first game for the X-box other than the Kinect adventures that came with the thing, it set the bar pretty high. I have tried several games that have absolutely paled in comparison. The first Spiderman game felt totally arcade-like, annoying, and unenjoyable. I felt the same way about L.A. Noire... I guess I expected every game to be as amazing as Batman... Boy was I let down.

The main story in Batman Arkham city was very enjoyable, and there were lots of other side missions you could do along the way. I finished the main story-line, and was shocked to find myself only at around 50% complete with the whole game. I've done a fair amount of work on the Riddler things, but at the end of the day I found myself getting downright frustrated by it, and I really didn't want to associate that game with frustration, so I stopped.

I also didn't bother with any of the AR training passed the upgraded grapnel hook. I don't think I'm missing a whole lot... If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

I do kinda feel like I missed out on a little, having never read any of the comics. I had never before heard of Bane, Ra's Al Ghul, or even Dr. Strange. I'm really only familiar with Poison Ivy (and even that was from that god awful movie with Uma Thurman... Blech.) Cat Woman, Joker and Harley of course, Two face, Penguin, Riddler and Freeze. Not familiar with the Croc or any of the other villians... Seems like there's a lot of story / history that this game might add to, but not for me.

An interesting part about this game's mechanics is that he doesn't actually kill anyone. I thought that was cool, and it made sense... You know, being Batman and all.

I was disappointed that I couldn't play as Robin. I'm told you can, or remember reading something about it somewhere, but it was downloadable content, and I wasn't quite THAT interested... So I didn't pursue it. Perhaps I will someday, I dunno.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment